Sakai is Notre Dame’s Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE), a set of tools that help a faculty member create a web site for a class. The instructor provides the content and Sakai supplies structure, interactivity, and management. Some of the key tools include
- Grade book (students only see their own grades)
- Quizzes and anonymous surveys
- Assignments – collect work online
Overlapping with Sakai through June 2013 is a legacy system called Concourse, which runs on Blackboard Vista.
As the CLE designation implies, Sakai can also be used for collaboration. This is done through project sites that can be used by research teams, committees, student organizations, and other groups.
Because there are many tools, there are many possibilities for teaching and learning. Here are a few:
- Use the quiz tool for pre-class reading checks
- The grade book tool is popular in teach large classes
- Distribute materials, such as a course syllabus
- Students can pose questions in a discussion
The OIT provides help desk support fo Sakai and organizes training classes. The Kaneb Center provides consultation services to help faculty decide which Concourse tools may be most appropriate for their needs.
This kind of tool is also known as a Course Management System (CMS) or Learning Management System (LMS).
- Home page – Sakai.nd.edu